EuSalt participated to the consultation on Partnership for Research and Innovation in the Mediterranean Area - PRIMA - organised by the European Commission.
3 problem statements have been identified as the most relevant ones for Research&Innovation challenges in the field of sustainable food production and water resources management in the Mediterranean area:
- lack of coordination and cooperation between countries and research organisations and duplication of research efforts (64,1%)
- lack of cooperation between academic and non-academic actors (62,8%)
- insufficient investments in R&I (61,2%)
A general consensus ranked PRIMA core objectives:
- to support the development and application of innovative solutions in the field of sustainable food production and water resources management in the region (very relevant 76,1% + relevant 20,3%)
- to facilitate the creation of knowledge-based jobs and competences and strengthen research capacity in the specific fields of sustainable food production and water resources management in the region (very relevant 63,7% + relevant 29,7%)
- to reinforce Euro-Mediterranean cooperation within the framework of the European Neighbourhood Policy, in the specific fields of sustainable food production and water resources management, thus contributing to supporting overall stability and socio-economic development in the region (very relevant 61% + relevant 28,3%)
The following 3 actions emerge as the most relevant ones for PRIMA to achieve its objectives:
- development of pilot projects (very relevant 53% + relevant 35,8%)
- public sector's direct investments in R&I (very relevant 60,5% + relevant 28,1%)
- networking and coordination/cooperation activities (very relevant 57,3% + relevant 31,3%)
As for potential additional actions which might be relevant for PRIMA to achieve its objectives, the need to further involve and engage local actors and end-users such as farmers was identified and to organise specific training programmes aimed at strengthening synergies among the different Research & Innovation actors.