EUsalt Virtual Conference | 17 June 2021
10:30 - 10:40 | Welcome & introduction
10:40 - 10:45 | Opening remarks by EUsalt President
10:45 - 11:30 | Session 1: The salt industry during and after COVID: risks, responses and expectations
The discussions in this session will highlight the essential role played by salt producers and their supply chain in the management of the COVID-19 crisis and the sector’s ways of adapting to the new reality. The topic will be approached from various perspectives such as health and safety, trade, consumption and sales and environment.
- Dr. Denis Vidovic, Head of Chemical Compliance - K+S Minerals and Agriculture
- Frank D. Hoks, Director Technology Salt, Nobian
James Noblett, Head of Health, Safety, Environment and Quality - Compass Minerals
Moderator: Dr. Urs Ch. Hofmeier, EUsalt President
11:30 - 11:50 | Presentation by SEP, gold sponsor: Holistic Optimization Approach in Vacuum Salt Production
- Kerstin Hirsch, Business Development Manager, SEP Salt & Evaporation Plants
- Jens-Holger Schmidt, CEO, SEP Salt & Evaporation Plants
11:50 - 12:05 | Session 2: European Commission presentation on setting rules for organic salt production
In this session, participants will hear an update from the European Commission on setting organic salt production rules. Conclusions of the work done by the expert group for technical advice on organic production (EGTOP) will be presented.
Speaker: Denis de Froidmont, DG Agriculture and Rural Development - Unit B4 Organics
Moderator: Hubert François, Groupe Salins
12:05 - 13:00 | Lunch break & optional speed networking
13:00 - 13:50 | Session 3: EUsalt Safety Award 2021
EUsalt members - Salinen Austria, Schweizer Salinen and Compass Minerals - will present the projects they are putting forward for the EUsalt Safety Award. Participants in the conference will have the opportunity to vote for their favourite one.
- COVID crisis: activities and communication of the Salinen Austria
- Making underground mining safer with WiFi (Salinen Austria)
- Swiss salt works - one step towards lean safety
- Using technology to combat COVID (Compass Minerals)
- Ariane Herzog, Salinen Austria
- François Sandoz, Schweizer Salinen AG
- Ian Hanley, Compass Minerals
Moderator: James Noblett, Compass Minerals
13:50 - 14:10 | Session 4: Salt – the best de-icing solution for European roads
The key findings and conclusions of the EUsalt report on the environmental impact of de-icing salt will be presented in this session.
- Dr. Franz Götzfried, Chemist and chemical engineer, Salt Research + Consulting
- Stéphanie Gaudé, Winter maintenance specialist, The French Centre for Studies and Expertise on Risks, the Environment, Mobility and Urban Planning (Cerema)
Moderator: Gordon Dunn, Compass Minerals
14:10 - 14:27 | Break & optional speed networking
14:27 - 14:47 | Session 5: The end of plastic packaging?
This session will tackle the increasing pressure from the public and the European institutions to lower the wide use of plastics particularly in food packaging and the response of the packaging industry.
Speaker: Michel Cassart, Director Strategic Council - Sustainable Use of Plastics, PlasticsEurope
Moderator: Holger Bekemeier, K+S Minerals and Agriculture
14:47 -15:15 | Meet & Greet
15:15 - 15:30 | EUsalt Safety Award 2021 winner announcement & closing session
The conference is by invitation only.